Skip to Content
No Consultation Fee! 757-926-0078

Do Incarcerated Parents Pay Child Support?

Hands holding us dollar bills and small money pouch

Child support is crucial in ensuring the success of children after a divorce. However, there can be life events that complicate the payment process. For example, if a parent becomes incarcerated. This blog will help explain how incarcerated parents make child support payments, and if modifications are necessary.

Can They Modify The Agreement?

There are a high number of incarcerated or jailed parents that are responsible for child support payments of varying amounts. However, making payments from prison can be exceedingly difficult for some individuals. If that is the case, it may be possible for them to obtain a support modification.

As with any modification, the individual must demonstrate a substantial change of circumstances. The courts may also consider the contributing factors of arrest as well, such as how long they will have to serve time behind bars.

What Kinds Of Modifications Can Be Made?

If modification is plausible, there are a couple of different options that may suit the imprisoned or incarcerated individual. The courts may do one of the following:

  • Completely suspend the support order until the parent is out of jail.
  • Adjust the support order so the individual does not have to pay as much.

It is also plausible that the courts will not accept a modification, requiring that the parent adheres to the original support order. If the incarcerated parent still has to make routine payments, they will have to figure out the best way to provide this support. Sometimes individuals will rely on any established savings accounts, while others may have to sell assets or investments.

Working With Experienced Attorneys

If you are encountering issues with paying your child support, you may qualify for a modification to the order. The team at Bush & Taylor, P.C. is ready to investigate your situation and determine whether or not a modification is possible.

Reach our office today at (757) 926-0078 to schedule a consultation.